Wednesday, July 25, 2018

F5 2018 Application Protection Report

I spent over a year researching, gathering data, discussing, analyzing, designing, and writing this report. It's a complete picture of web applications security globally full of data and details.  Please read and share:

2018 Application Protection Report


Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Some quick book reviews

Some of things I've read over the past 6 months or so...

Terms and Conditions
A graphic novel based on the iTunes terms and conditions.  Brilliant and informative.

Baggywrinkles: A Lubber's Guide to Life at Sea 
A graphic novel about what it's like to work on a tall sailing ship in the modern era. I've got a nephew who did this with the author, so it was a chance to learn what he was doing and get his younger cousins interested.

The Writer's Portable Mentor
Because I always am trying to improve my craft.  I don't have a Hugo House where I live now, so this is standing in.

The President's Book of Secrets: The Untold Story of Intelligence Briefings to America's Presidents
A fascinating historical review of the president's daily briefing from the CIA written be someone who did it. Follows the process from inception all the way up to near today. Was worth it just for the inside peek into the president's and their learning styles.

Timber Curtain
A set of poems of about the demolition of the Hugo Hous e and it's parallels to the changes in Seattle as a city.

The Monk of Mokha
Since I love coffee and histo ry, ho w could I not? It details one man's journey into coffee perfection back in Yemen.  A very American story of entrepreneurship, hardship and gumption.

Spook Street
I love British spy fiction and the Slow Horses and books are a fave. Thrilling, funny, and sardonic take on MI5.

American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road
This was a gift from some friends and it took me awhile to get to it but boy was it worth it. Not only did I learn a few things about my profession but the writing and research is top no tch.

The Black Box Society:The Secret Algorithms That Control Money and Information
Wasn't as enlightening as I had hoped it would be, but I did learn a thing or two.

The War Nerd Iliad
I love the war nerd and history. A very readable and understandable version of this epic classic poem. I found it very brutal and gory... then I checked back to the original translations and yep, that's the way the original was.

Pie & Whiskey: Writers under the Influence of Butter & Booze
Great collection of writing from Kate Kebo's "Pie and Whiskey" readings.  Really blew me away and made me hungry at the same time.

The Invincible
I love love love Stanislaw Lem and this was a re-read for me.  Well, a new translation of something I'd read previously.  It's scifi but anyone involved in modern warfare or cyberwarfare will learn a lot from the big message about what can make an enemy "invincible".

Next in my read pile -
The Good Mothers: The Story of the Three Women Who Took on the World's Most Powerful Mafia

Monday, May 28, 2018

Helpnet Security: The ethical and legal dilemmas of threat researchers

Helpnet Security: The ethical and legal dilemmas of threat researcher

Threat intelligence is mainstreaming into a de-facto everyday tool of cyber-defense. But all that intelligence must be collected, analyzed, and prepared by someone. Enter threat researchers, the advanced scouts of cybersecurity. They are becoming more numerous and conspicuous as more intelligence on illicit hacker activity is demanded. Threat researchers trawl through the dark web, pick apart malware, reverse engineer exploits, track outbreaks across the Internet, and set up honeypots to surveil attacker activity.

Read the rest at Helpnet Security